21 August 2010

My Favorite T-Shirts On the Web

Think back & remember the first t-shirt you had that was screen-printed or had words printed on it.  It took me a while to recall, but I'm sure mine was a Rat-Fink t-shirt.  I remember one of my parents, at my request, buying me a rat-fink plastic figure when I was about 10 or 11 years old.  There was an address on the box with a cut-out order form to send off for a rat-fink t-shirt.  I know I must have talked my father into sending off for this t-shirt for me.  Thinking back, my parents were pretty damn cool.  I don't think there were a lot of parents in 1964 who would indulge their sweet little girl's love of outlandish critters like Rat-Fink.
The Baby-Boomer Generation, of which I fit right smack in the middle of, is the generation that made T-Shirt wearing the norm.  Baby-Bloomers are the generation of Rock’n Roll, Woodstock, tie-dye and wearing our sentiments on our chests.  We didn't invent the T-shirt or even the slogan T-shirt.  The word T-shirt entered the dictionary in 1920.  In 1939, there was a Wizard of Oz souvenir T-shirt.  The first political slogan T-Shirt read “Dew-IT with Dewey” during the 1948 presidential election.  Yet the Baby-Boomer Generation, undoubtedly influenced by movies like Street Car Named Desire and Rebel Without a Cause, was the generation that embraced the T-Shirt as everyday wear.

  

I didn't start living day-to-day in T-shirts until about the 1990s.  I wore T-Shirts on the week-end and an occasional T-Shirt that fit into what I was teaching, like a shirt with Egyptian Figures, when I started wearing t-shirts to work.  I started wearing Tie-Die T-Shirts with skirts to work in the 1980s. By the end of the 1990s, I had a Tie-Die T-Shirt for every day of the month. Last year I wore LOLCat T-Shirts to entertain my Middle School students.  I have no doubt that my T-Shirt wearing habits have grown out of my desire to entertain my Middle School students.  


I am always on the look out for interesting and different T-shirts on-line, and want to share some of my favorite places to find cool t-Shirts on-line. Here are some of the shirts that I've purchased from some of my favorite T-Shirt sites.  Of course my choices of shirts often end up with cats on them, but each site isn't necessarily dedicated to the love of cats.
  
LOLCat Shirt of the Day is easily my favorite T-Shirt connection. Not only do they have a weekly LOLCat T-shirt, they often have some of my favorite memes on their T-Shirts.







Chairman Meow from Obey the Kitty 
 

My car wears this bumper sticker from Obey the Kitty







More T-Shirts:
More Links about the T-Shirts & the History of T-Shirts:


submit to reddit

No comments: